Recipe: Quick Pickled Onions
I’m not exaggerating when i say this, but these pickled onions WILL be your go-to this spring/ summer. Not only do they take minutes, and YES i mean MINUTES to make, they’re also so freaking good that you’ll be wondering how you enjoyed foods without them for this long.
If youre not an onion fan, hold up. These are less onion and more pickle.. if that makes sense? The texture is great (still crunchy) and the zip it provides is almost addicting.
These onions are perfect for salads, sandwiches, tacos and wraps (hello home-made shawarma!). The opportunities are endless!
Ok now to the good stuff, HOW TO MAKE IT
2 medium sized red onions
1 cup water
½ cup white vinegar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp kosher salt
1. Remove skin from onion and cut in half lengthwise . Thinly slice the halves and put into your medium sized jar (its ok to push them down)
2. Combine the water, vinegars, sugar and salt to a saucepan on medium heat. Stir frequently until salt + sugar is dissolved, about 1-2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, and let cool for 20 minutes or until room temp.
4. Pour pickling mixture over pickles, secure the lid + put in the fridge.
5. Onions are ready when they are bright pink, about 4 hours. They stay fresh for about a week in the fridge.